Nothing is more pressing in Africa today than fighting the epidemic of corruption and loss of moral sense at the root of poverty and underdevelopment in Africa. To begin healing Africa’s culture of corruption and apathy to ethics from the root, our Centre is proposing SEACON as a bottom-top approach to ethics, responsible citizenship and anti-corruption in Nigeria.
As an ethics organization working with African university students since 2013, our experience is that university students have a lot of roles to play toward promoting ethics and fighting corruption in Africa. From them, we have learnt of many forms of unethical and corrupt practices unknown to many Africans. Though, like the rest of Africans, many African students are also corrupt, quite a good number are willing to lead the fight against corruption and work with us to promote ethics within and outside the campus. But they lack the training and the resources to fight corruption and promote ethics.
THE SEACON EFFECT
Leveraging on the grounds gained through ELP and CBEP as well as our large student following, SEACON is building a network of college students from higher institutions in Africa to begin identifying and exploring innovative ways to promote ethics while combating corruption in Africa. Through a combination of ethics seminars, ethics contests, ethics campaigns, development of innovative resources that promote ethics and discourage corruption, development of new technologies that prevent and make corruption harder, SEACON will facilitate the emergence of ethically conscious Africa.
Building a culture of accountability, transparency, good governance and integrity in Africa
- Raises awareness of the consequences of corruption on development.
- Trains youths on how to identify, safely resist and fight corruption.
- Trains and provide tools for monitoring and reporting corruption in public service.
- Promotes the development of innovative ways to make engaging in corrupt practices harder.
- Trains students on how to promote transparency, accountability and good governance.
- Educates and trains students on ways to safely, legally and effectively fight for rights.
- Explains civic responsibilities and proposes ways to get involved in civic activities.
- Explains the need for law and order in the society
- Trains and provides tools to monitor elections and report accurately.